Friday, January 24, 2025

Today’s Read: If You Can't Take the Heat: Tales of Food, Feminism, and Fury by Geraldine DeRuiter

 I’d run across her biting review of Bros (horrendous plaster mouth mold foam course and all) by sheer chance, and then this was recommended to me. It’s hilarious, believe me – I kept accosting my partner with random quotes* – and it also has serious and well-considered musings on feminism and the ways that peoples’ lives are shaped by gendered expectations, usually to the worse.

Some parts of it are absolutely maddening. Of course they are! It’s a book that is in part about being a woman on the internet! I enjoyed the parts of her life she shared. I laughed, wheezed, and cackled. It did make me think.


I liked it! Not sure if I’m likely to reread it, but I’m leaning toward no. Really great as an audiobook because Geraldine is the reader, and wow but that makes some of the prose a lot clearer; there’s a lot of snark and sarcasm, which can be really ambiguous in audio format, but no, she’s coming through loud and clear.



* “He adores me so completely that at least three of my in-laws have accused me of sexual witchcraft.”


“I’ve accepted the feminist notion that women can do anything, but the idea that we don’t have to do certain things is taking a bit longer to sink in.”


“Whoever said that time heals all wounds probably died of sepsis. It does not. But in the case of a broken heart, it does soften the edges of the pain a little bit.”


“Go to bed early and say the Pledge of Allegiance and don’t ever smoke pot or you won’t amount to anything. Well, look who is extremely high and laughing now, Mrs. Schmidt.”


No comments:

Post a Comment