Prog metal anthem with tight vocal harmonies, great performances, and a driving beat. The lyrics reflect on how we find a way to live in this broken world and hold onto ourselves in the face of others’ opinions and our own fears. The syncopation and unexpected melodic lines of the verses just draw me in.
I encountered them by walking past a show flyer and thinking, “well, that art makes it look like they’re right up my alley.” I was right, so I bought tickets for my first live show since developing long COVID. That show was a first step in reclaiming myself, my health, and my determination to make things better, even when it seems impossible. Chronic illness can wear you down to a tiny nub.
All the band members have been part of successful metal groups prior to this, and they have the chops to show for it. And unlike some supergroups, they have a coherent sound with united goals; they blend into a single sound which unites their catalog. And I love the social consciousness of their lyrics. I’m a sucker for music that speaks to me.
The album that started it for me, with awesome artwork:
No comments:
Post a Comment