Friday, January 24, 2025

Today's Track: Messy by Lola Young

Laid-back pop rock, a catchy bop about a seriously toxic soon-to-be ex. She uses her voice like an instrument - a breathy sweetness, an emotional rasp, or just a straight belt, as the song requires. I also enjoy the way she leans into her accent and back as another way of tweaking her sound. Fun. Satisfying. Kind of an earworm.

The lyrics are really great. I’m having a hell of a time picking a favorite bit, though I tend to settle on “And then I’m too perfect, ‘til I show you that I’m not. A thousand people I could be for you and you hate the fucking lot.”

Though, “you tell me get a job then you ask where the hell I’ve been,” oof. Watched friends wade through that mess. Made it out my own shallow-ish swamp. We can excuse so much, put up with so much, and then there’s the thing that makes it snap, that sudden realization that the repeated failure isn’t because we’re incompetent – it’s because the test is set up to be impossible. She captures it beautifully.

It’s a definite theme that I love artists that have a distinct sound but are regularly able to surprise me. She pulls from rock, R&B, pop, and spoken word/rap, and at the same time, her voice stands out with its soft. . . rasp? Huskiness? Not sure what the best word is, but her voice is delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment